Friday, January 6, 2017

Getting Beyond the Bitterness

I turned to the poem in the anthology partly because of an experience involving a friend when I was in college.  That fellow student's family owned a produce company that brought together vegetables from a number of farmers, cleaned and packed them, and distributed them to grocery stores.  One evening, my friend took me to see the company's processing center after the day's operations had been completed.  There I saw more radishes than I had ever seen in my life or will probably ever see again.  The radishes were neatly packaged in small bags piled five-feet high on a pallet five-feet square.  An estimated 125 cubic feet of the familiar reddish radish, each no more than an inch in diameter!

As I said, it was partly that memory that prompted me to turn to a particular poem -- one with "radish" in its title -- in an anthology of sacred poetry.  The poem was a simple three-liner by the 18th-century Japanese poet Issa:
"The man pulling radishes
pointed the way
with a radish."
So short, the poem forced my mind to pause, taking it a few moments to picture the gardener on his knees, one arm outstretched to give directions, using the humble radish in a new-found way, as a pointer.

Growing up, I was introduced to radishes when our family had Sunday dinner at a restaurant.  On each of our restaurant salads was a single brightly colored radish, mostly as garnish.  It would require returning to that restaurant a few times before my sister and I could begin to nibble like rabbits on the humble, red vegetable as we became accustomed to its bitter edge.

In the collection of spiritual poetry, I turned to the biography of this man Issa, and found there more bitterness than I was prepared for.  The biography described how "Issa (1763-1827)... lost his mother at the age of three and was continually beaten by his stepmother....  His later life was marked by poverty... and the death of his first wife and four young children.  But somehow he triumphed over all these obstacles and kept his simple, affectionate nature.  His is particularly admired for his love of animals and his championing of the underdog."

My heart warmed to this somewhat overlooked man, and so I turned back the pages of my book to read another haiku poem by him:
"In the cherry blossom's shade
there's no such thing
as a stranger."
This second three-liner was a very upbeat poem, the kind our U.S. society today prefers to have populating its collections of religious poems.  However, having read of Issa's life -- both the bitter and the beautiful -- I decided to treasure both of the poems, printed back-to-back on a single leaf of paper in my book.

~~~

Has there been in your life any bitterness you have had to get beyond to find your way?


(The poems and biography of Issa are from The Enlightened Heart,
 ed. Stephen Mitchell, © 1989.  pp. 99, 158 & 100.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most of the bitterness I have experienced in my life has come from when people did not live up to my expectations of what I was wanting from them. Fortunately, that has usually been because people are simply not capable of everything. I think the harder kind of bitterness comes when other people have not proven trustworthy. Fortunately, most people I have known have been, even if imperfect. And so, maybe my New Year's resolution will be to try to have sympathy for those people who are still suffering from the betrayal of trust by some people in their past.

Anonymous said...

I echo the previous comment - I have experienced both kinds of bitterness of people not living up to expectations and not trustworthy. Part of this comes from my own high and somewhat innocent expectations of what they could do for me. I am still recovering from a particular incident that happened years ago. Thanks for writing about this subject - it is very helpful to know I am not alone.