Friday, September 4, 2015

An Imaginary Island

In order to cultivate analytical thinking, philosophy teachers seem adept at devising situations we will never encounter.  (Such as:  "If you and two other people were adrift in a boat with no drinking water or food, but then one of those people died, would it be immoral to eat the body of the dead person?")

Despite the contrived nature of such thought-puzzles, there is one imaginary situation that still seems to evoke interest, even among non-philosophers.  It is the scenario of being stranded alone on an island.  I think that scenario engages our interest because it does not simply ask an ethical puzzle but asks us what we like most:  What would you want to have with you if you were marooned on an island?

My slim "Dover Thrift" book entitled Books and Reading: A Book of Quotations tells me that G. K. Chesterton was once asked what book he would want to have if he were stranded on an island.  The Bible?  A volume of Shakespeare?  No, Chesterton, replied he'd want to have a guide to shipbuilding.

It is a cleverly humorous reply.  But I think it ultimately evades the point of the "island question."  Namely, the question of what book is of most enduring value to you.  Surely Chesterton, if not on an island, would not want a book on shipbuilding to be his only available reading for the remainder of his life.

The "island question" does not, however, have to be asked or answered in terms of literal books.  The medieval theologian Meister Eckhart wrote:
"...want a child to be with me""If I were alone in a desert and feeling afraid,
 I would want a child to be with me.
 For then my fear would disappear
 and I would be made strong.
 This is what life in itself can do because it is so noble, so full of pleasure and so powerful.
 But if I could not have a child with me
 I would like to have
 at least a living animal at my side to comfort me."

Meister Eckhart chose from the world's library a different kind of "book."  He chose what Christian tradition has called "the Book of Nature."  It has been considered to be a "book" so valuable that it can even be viewed as a window into God.

"...would like to have  at least a living animal"
Meister Eckhart gave a different kind of answer to the "island question" because he looked deeply into himself, asking what was his most enduring need, not just what would be a quick fix to get out of the desert (or get off the island).  Interestingly, in looking into himself, Eckhart found that his need for belonging could be filled with the companionship of forms of life that were in some way different from himself:  A child.  Or an animal.

~~~

If you were marooned on an island, what things in Nature would you like to have around to comfort you?


(The Eckhart quote can be found in the theologian
Sallie McFague's book The Body of God, © 1993, p. 98.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flowers! Big, colorful ones to cheer me up. (Have you ever noticed how a gift of flowers cheers people up?)

Shirley W. said...

Butterflies, of every kind and color.

Anonymous said...

Smooth stones of various sizes and colors.

Anonymous said...

A large, old tree. Perhaps a live oak for climbing, or a sycamore for peeling, or a maple in case I was on a temperate seasonal island!

Anonymous said...

Birds! With their songs I would be surrounded by the voices of other sentient beings and would never be alone.