Friday, September 19, 2014

Lines from a Not So Ancient Poet

Although public-school curricula has now, fortunately, expanded to include a wider variety of authors, my own generation (as well as that of my parents and grandparents) inevitably had to read a famous poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.  Titled "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner," the poem told the story of a sailor who, because of his disregard for God's non-human creatures, was punished by having to carry around his neck the albatross that he killed.  As students, some of us felt that a heavy albatross was being hung around our own necks by our being required to read and maybe memorize part of the 15-page poem written in a now out-of-date style.  Despite the poem's strange plot, the poem did conclude with a sentence I thought was strikingly beautiful:
"He prayeth best, who loveth best
All things both great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth all."

The phrase "All things both great and small" in that stanza was probably the inspiration for the line "All creatures great and small" in Cecil Frances Alexander's 1848 hymn "All Things Bright and Beautiful." That hymn in turn inspired titles for the set of books by the 20th-century writer James Herriot.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge
I now wish I had been exposed to Coleridge's insights that ranged far beyond that poem.  In more recent years, as I have encountered small quotations from Coleridge's prose in other writers' books, I have come to recognize his philosophical contributions.  Although his personal life had many setbacks, Coleridge stayed on course with his interest in exploring human attentiveness, sensibilities, and imagination, and the role they play in our relationship to Nature. Such as his observation that "To think of a thing is [as] different from to perceive it as 'to walk' is from 'to feel the ground under you.' "

The significance of his philosophical work can be better understood against its historical background.  Coleridge lived from 1772 to 1834.  It was a time in which Western intellectual culture was struggling through transformations resulting from the expansion of modern science. Many scientists were saying that we can only truly know the world if we draw a sharp dividing line between human reason and emotions.  In contrast, Coleridge argued that "Deep thinking is attainable only by men of deep feeling."

northern royal albatross
Besides the metaphor of "an albatross around the neck," Coleridge has left our English discourse with other phrases.  It is also from his "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" that we got "Water, water, everywhere... Nor any drop to drink."  (Sometimes rephrased to "... and not a drop to drink.")  And it is from his analyses of the craft of writing that we got our description of readers' "willing suspension of disbelief."  I think it would be nice if Coleridge's legacy to us would also include a kind of thinking that was a deeper feeling and a deeper loving. Not just for other humans, but for all creatures great and small.

~~~

Do you think Coleridge was right in the idea expressed in the verse quoted from  "The Rime" that there is a link between praying and loving?


(The Coleridge quotes re. perceiving and re. deep thinking are from his Notebooks.
His phrase about suspension of disbelief is from his Biographia Literaria, Ch. 14.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That line by Coleridge is kind of puzzling to me. I do like that it encourages us to love living things by reminding us that God made all things. But I am puzzled by Coleridge saying that we pray the best when we love the best. Would that mean that I need to be at my best in order to pray well? I hope that I could pray well even when I am not at my best because that would be the very occasion that I would need to pray and open myself to God's Spirit.
But then again, maybe Coleridge means that after I open myself to God's Spirt and thus become more loving, then I would be able to pray more deeply. If that is what he means, then maybe I do grasp is point.
Thanks for all the quotes by him.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for these lovely quotations!

I think I would say that loving is, itself, the best form of prayer.

As a teacher, I think it is essential to love my students in order to teach them well. My husband, who has seen too much of frustrated me, called me on that immediately, "But you complain about them, they aggravate you, some of them are incorrigible!"
"Oh!" I said, " I didn't say that I LIKE any of my students. But I do love them!"

I think perhaps the above commenter may be holding her/himself to a high bar of liking someone, which is rarely in our control. However loving someone - wanting the best for them and helping them to that greater fullness - that is a choice and, itself, a prayer.